Steve Ellwood

I’m getting to grips with EF.Core, never having used it before I find it has a few quirks that I’m not used to. The first of these is the concept of a migration. I was trying to set up an initial migration and got the error in the nuget package manager console -

add-migration : The term 'add-migration' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

Fortunately for me the resolution was trivial, all I needed to do was to add the relevant version of Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Tools to my application and everything worked as expected

--

--

For some unclear reason the microphone suddenly stopped working on my MacBook Pro Monterey but only when I was using Teams. Fortunately the solution to this turned out to be remarkably simple, it just wasn’t really where I was expecting it to be.

If you go into the System Preferences and select Security and Privacy, then click the Microphone you will see something like this

In my case Microsoft Teams wasn’t ticked, so I clicked the box as shown and my problem was solved. All it needed then was a quick restart of Teams which the machine did for me and a test call and all was well.

To make a test call in Teams you click on the ellipsis near your profile picture and select Settings, then click Devices and there is a button you can press to make a test call.

--

--

While I was upgrading some of my libraries from .net core 3.1 to .net 6.0 I got this error

C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk\3.1.302\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1655,5): error : Project 'MyProject.csproj' targets 'net6.0'. It cannot be referenced by a project that targets '.NETFramework,Version=v6.0'. [c:\MyProject.csproj]

At first this really threw me as obviously .Net Framework 6.0 doesn’t exist. When I looked closer I realised that this was coming from the 3.1.302 sdk which gave me the clue I needed. These project had a global.json file

{
"sdk": {
"version": "3.1.302",
"rollForward": "latestPatch",
"allowPrerelease": false
}
}

All I needed to do was change the version element to

     "version": "6.0.100",

which allows the project to use the .net 6 tooling.

--

--

Steve Ellwood

Steve Ellwood

Senior Integrations Officer at Doncaster Council Any views expressed are entirely my own.